Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Blueberry Sugar Cookie Cobbler

I tried this amazing recipe last night after searching through my cupboards for dessert ingredients. I was bringing a dessert to a friends house for dinner and I had two hours to come up with something that I had all the ingredients for, make it, get the kids and myself ready and be there by six! I have to say I did it! I found this recipe on All Recipes, but it was called "The Best Blueberry Cobbler Ever". It had over 55 4 or 5 star ratings, so I decided, if I followed the directions carefully, I couldn't go too wrong.
The batter is not a traditional cobbler batter, which I discovered while making it. I decided to adapt the name to be more descriptive because the batter is pretty much a sugar cookie batter! I also use frozen berries I had from the cannery and thawed and drained them very well before hand. One thing unique about this is that it uses orange juice in the filling! Oh wow! I think I'm going to try that with blueberry pie too. The tastes compliment each other so well. My Husband said that he loved it! It is also a MUST with vanilla ice cream. Give this a try!

Ingredients:
3 cups fresh blueberries (or frozen, drained)
3 Tbs. white sugar
1/3 cup orange juice
2/3 cup all purpose-flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
vanilla ice cream or whipped topping (optional)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C)
2. In an 8 inch square baking dish, mix blueberries, 3 Tbs. sugar and orange juice. Set aside. In a small bowl thoroughly mix flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside
3. In a medium mixing bowl, cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually add flour mixture, stirring just until combined (I actually added a couple tsps. of milk here). Drop batter by rounded tablespoons over blueberry mixture. Try to cover as much of filling as possible.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbling. (I turned the heat down to 325 for the last five minutes of the 40.)
5. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped topping.

2 comments:

  1. You have definately started my mouth a watering with this one!! BTW- you are now an administrator on this blog. So feel free to change it up whenever. luv ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds very yummy, I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin