Sunday, April 26, 2009

Chicken in the Devil Sauce

I'm surprised that I haven't posted this one yet! It's a family classic and I will never tire of it! This is another one I first had when I married my honey. It's from his Mom who got it from a cooking class. It's apparently an Indonesian recipe. If you like it super spicy, add the whole 1/4 tsp. of Cayenne Pepper. If not, like me, just add 1/8 tsp. Enjoy!

Chicken In the Devil Sauce:
3.5 lbs. chicken thighs
salt
3Tbs. butter or margarine
5 cloves garlic


Sweet ketchup:
5 Tbs. brown sugar
2 1/2 Tbs. soy sauce

Spices Mix:

1/2 tsp. Paprika
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. Red (or Cayenne) pepper
1 1/2 tsp. salt

Sugar mixture:
2 Tbs. sugar
2 Tbs. water
1/2 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar (or white)
1 Tbs. Chicken Fat

Directions:
1. Sprinkle Chicken with salt. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Align a 9"x13" pan with foil. Pour 2 Tbs. oil on foil. Place chicken thighs in pan (coating in oil, & skin side up.) Bake for 55 minutes, until brown and tender. Bake on second rack from the bottom.
2. In a fry pan, heat butter until hot on medium. Stir fry garlic until brown and remove from heat. Stir in sweet ketchup and spices mixture. Return to heat
, stirring continuously. When boiling and bubbling, remove from heat again. Stir in sugar mixture. Return to heat, stirring until it boils. Remove from heat. Add chicken, coating well in sauce on medium high heat. Continue this until well coated (approximately 2-3 minutes).
3. Separate chicken and fat from sauce, saving the sauce to serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin