Sunday, September 14, 2008

Spinach Salad with Sugared Almonds and Poppy Seed Dressing

This is the most amazing salad. I first tasted it when it was served to me at a luncheon on BYU-I campus. It quickly became a favorite among all my friends. We used to rant and rave about the spinach salad the University always served. Then one day, I was at a church function and someone brought it. I asked her for the recipe.
She gave me the recipe for the salad itself and for the almonds that go in it as well as the poppy seed dressing for the top. So here they are:

Spinach Salad:

1/2 bunch spinach
1/2 head romaine lettuce
1/2 red onion sliced in rings (optional)
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 can mandarin oranges- drained
1/4 lb. bacon cooked and crumbled
1/4 cup sugared almonds (see recipe)
1/4 cup shredded cheese

Mix lettuce, spinach, and mushrooms together. Sprinkle bacon, oranges and almonds on top. Top with red onions. Serve with poppy seed dressing (see recipe).


Sugared Almonds:

1/4 cup sliced almonds
1 1/2 Tbl. sugar
1 Tbl. melted butter

Blend Sugar and butter well. Coat almonds and spread them on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes. Stir after 7 minutes. When lightly browned, remove from oven. Loosen nuts with a metal spatula and let them cool completely.


Poppy Seed Dressing:

1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. poppy seeds
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbl. onion pureed
1 Tbl. mustard
1 cup vegetable oil

Mix all the ingredients except the oil together until the sugar is dissolved. While beating on high speed, drop 2-3 drops of oil into the mixture. Then gradually add remaining oil in a thin stream to complete emulsification.

I encourage you all to try this salad! It is easily my favorite of all time!

1 comment:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin